Saturday, May 23, 2020

I Know My Faith is Founded

“I Know My Faith is Founded” (LSB 587) was written by Lutheran pastor Erdmann Neumeister (1671-1756). Neumeister is best known for his Lutheran orthodoxy and his prolific writing of hymns, as well as a detailed explanation of Luther’s Small Catechism.

Stanza one confesses that faith rests only on Jesus, true God and true man. Yet, saving faith is created by the work of the Holy Spirit through the Word of God. Without the Holy Spirit working through the Word, “our reason cannot fathom the truth of God profound.” What matters is the object of that faith: because it is possible that some could sincerely trust in error and not receive their salvation, it is not sincerity that is most important (although saving faith is certainly sincere). God’s Word is efficacious and “all-sufficient; it makes divinely sure.” Therefore, the stanza voices the certainty of faith when it says, “unmoved I stand on His sure Word.”

Satan’s kingdom is threatened when people trust in Christ. So “Satan seeks by night and day to rob me of this treasure and take my hope of bliss away” (stanza two; 1 Peter 5:8). Similarly, the Large Catechism confesses that Satan “is an enemy who never lets up or becomes weary; when one attack ceases, new ones always arise.”

Because of this, stanza two begins with a petition to increase faith in Christ. According to the Gospel, Satan cannot take God’s grace away when God’s hand remains with the believer. The result is a firmer confidence in God’s mercy, according to HIs Word. Because God’s Word of grace is certain, He makes faith in Christ firmer. This strengthens the believer confidently to “bid defiance to every evil foe.”

Stanza three is a petition for faith to endure the afflictions of “persecution, grief, and pain.” There is no escape from suffering in this life as a Christian (2 Corinthians 1:7; 2 Timothy 2:12). Yet God uses afflictions to drive believers deeper into God’s Word, that they may be more certain of His merciful promises. Therefore, even in affliction, God preserves His people in Christ and enables them to retain “a steadfast trust.”

After this life is over, the believer confidently looks to be taken home to heaven to inherit the riches God’s Word has long promised. By God’s grace, believers are safely brought through this vale of tears so they might attain “the end of faith,” or eternal life.

1 I know my faith is founded
    On Jesus Christ, my God and Lord;
And this my faith confessing,
    Unmoved I stand on His sure Word.
Our reason cannot fathom
    The truth of God profound;
Who trusts in human wisdom
    Relies on shifting ground.
God’s Word is all-sufficient,
    It makes divinely sure;
And trusting in its wisdom,
    My faith shall rest secure.

2 Increase my faith, dear Savior,
    For Satan seeks by night and day
To rob me of this treasure
    And take my hope of bliss away.
But, Lord, with You beside me,
    I shall be undismayed;
And led by Your good Spirit,
    I shall be unafraid.
Abide with me, O Savior,
    A firmer faith bestow;
Then I shall bid defiance
    To ev’ry evil foe.

3 In faith, Lord, let me serve You;
    Though persecution, grief, and pain
Should seek to overwhelm me,
    Let me a steadfast trust retain;
And then at my departure,
    Lord, take me home to You,
Your riches to inherit
    As all You said holds true.
In life and death, Lord, keep me
    Until Your heav’n I gain,
Where I by Your great mercy
    The end of faith attain.

No comments:

Post a Comment