Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Behind the Hymn: A Look at Paul Gerhardt

Episode Two of "Behind the Hymn: Stories of the Hymns We Love to Sing: Paul Gerhardt." Today's episode featured Gerhardt's hymn "Jesus, Thy Boundless Love to Me" (LSB 683). The lyrics and tune are available below: 1 Jesus, Thy boundless love to me No thought can reach, no tongue declare; Unite my thankful heart to Thee, And reign without a rival there! Thine wholly, Thine alone I am; Be Thou alone my constant flame. 2 O grant that nothing in my soul May dwell, but Thy pure love alone; Oh, may Thy love possess me whole, My joy, my treasure, and my crown! All coldness from my heart remove; My ev’ry act, word, thought be love. 3 This love unwearied I pursue And dauntlessly to Thee aspire. Oh, may Thy love my hope renew, Burn in my soul like heav’nly fire! And day and night, be all my care To guard this sacred treasure there. 4 In suff’ring be Thy love my peace, In weakness be Thy love my pow’r; And when the storms of life shall cease, O Jesus, in that final hour, Be Thou my rod and staff and guide, And draw me safely to Thy side! Text: Public domain

No comments:

Post a Comment