Monday, March 1, 2021

Jesus, Crucified for Me!


Dear brothers and sisters in Christ:

On my heart imprint Your image,
Blessed Jesus, King of grace,
That’s life’s riches, cars, and pleasures
Never may Your work erase;
Let the clear inscription be:
Jesus, crucified for me,
Is my life, my hope’s foundation,
And my glory and salvation!
(LSB 422)

This hymn by Danish Lutheran Thomas Hansen Kingo proclaims what Jesus’ Passion was all about: His Passion was all for us! On Good Friday, we recall the inscription that Pontius Pilate placed on the cross: “Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews” (Matthew 27:37; Luke 23:38). In this hymn, Kingo suggests this inscription become more personal and more comforting for Christians: “Let the clear inscription be: Jesus, crucified for me, Is my life, my hope’s foundation, And my glory and salvation!”

This hymn centers itself on Jesus Christ and His crucifixion to save sinners. As Satan, our sinful flesh, and the world constantly attack us, this hymn tells us of the powerful antidote against our evil foes. This antidote is Jesus, who is crucified (and risen) for us! And, even if the evil foes convince us to sin, through repentance (that is, turning away from sin and back to God) we are again righteous before God the Father, since He remembers our sins no more as He sees us as He sees His Son.

This hymn is a comforting prayer, recalling that nothing can separate us from His love in Christ Jesus! In Christ alone, we have the sure and certain hope of forgiveness of sins, eternal life, and salvation!

God’s richest blessings to you throughout this Lententide!

In Christ,
Pastor Adelsen

No comments:

Post a Comment